Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'm a [student] teacher!

First official day of student teaching: splendiferific (and yes, I made up that word, and I can, because I'm an English teacher).

Basically, I just sat in the back at my own personal desk and observed; but I am trying to get a good understanding of the students and I'm getting to know the backs of their heads really well--I'm getting quite good at that.

Then, there's the super ADD kid who constantly leans his desk back on two legs:
Miss Lind: "How many legs does that desk have?"
ADD: "Whaa?"
Miss Lind: "How many legs does that desk have?"
ADD: "ummm, four" (holding up four fingers and giving me a "duh" look)
Miss Lind: "Well then, maybe it should stand on all four of its legs."
[Showed him, yo.]

haha, but really--there are so many ways to deal with students, and right now, they need to know that a. I love them and care about them, and b. they're not gonna get away with crap from me. And on top of that, it kinda rocks that c. I'm super fun and if they behave they're going to have a great time in my class. Yes, they are.

Above all, teaching can be--and is--a ministry. Even if I'm not speaking Jesus' name to them, I am praying for them, and displaying His love--not on my own ability, but through the grace of the Lord, I am what I am.

PS--It's good for my heart to admire certain people. And I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment