Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Why be a teacher? You're Crazy!

I have been feeling quite weary recently...there is a lot on my mind. First of all, I can't believe that I will be graduating college in 96 days, but mostly it's everything that comes with that fact. "Growing up" has never felt so real...bc it has hit me in the face and it hurts. ow.

I met my cooperating teacher at Triton High last week, and I am very excited to be student teaching one honors and two regular English I classes this semester. I want to teach because I have a passion for it. There is no explanation as to why I would be crazy enough in anyone else's mind...but that's ok, I'm crazy. But to be a teacher, you have to LOVE teaching, or else you will go insane. I want to reach my students and know them individually so that they can learn more than the basics of my "content area." The classroom can be an environment of so much more than just "learning the material." And as much as I complain about my ed classes, I realize that I've learned ideas in there that go beyond what I need to know about English. I love English, but I also must love what I'm doing with it, and that is truly loving my students. What an opportunity for ministry.

So, I have my foundation. I know that I am going to be a teacher, and that I am a hard worker. I am organized; and a perfectionist, which sometimes takes up way too much of my time. But I'm proud of the work that I do, because I know that I can accomplish things I set my mind to. And I desire to be the best teacher that I can be. But I just don't know where I'm going next....I hate not seeing what's right ahead. On one hand, there are so many opportunities and choices and that's exciting--I get to start again, anew, and really "grow up"! On the other hand, I can't make any set plans because I have no idea where I'm going to get a job. That's very scary to me...but I also know that the Lord is good, and he will never leave me. So I pray. That's all that I can do, and all that I should do. I do the work set before me right now, and take the world as it comes.
Hope is clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment